Travel Health and Secuity
Preparation is key to safe travel
Scams are lucrative for criminals
- every time you take money out of using your debit card, depending on the location, you are charged a $5 fee or more.
- bring one debit card and one credit card and leave rest at home
- tourists may encounter fake police
- pickpocketing is prevalent across the globe
Statistical data on travel scams are difficult to track.
- in England and Wales, there were 107,471 offences of "theft from the person" in 2012.
- staff at the Louvre in France went on strike in protest over "increasingly aggressive" thieves who target tourists and staff alike, shutting the world's most visited museum
- Tourism Authority of Thailand warns tourists of rampant pickpocketing in markets and tourist destinations
- The Canadian Bankers Association reports financial institutions reimbursed moe than $439 Million to their Canadian credit card customers as a direct result of crime.
- look out for questionable business practices. "you won a free trip!" You could be blindsided by fees.
- unregulated taxis
Fraud from AARP
Road safety is a lifesaver
The threat of terrorism and natural disasters is far exceeded by traffic accidents -- in which an estimated 25,000 international travelers are killed each year. In fact, vehicle crashes are the number-one hazard for travelers --and the main reason International SOS receive calls for evacuation. In many parts of the world, driving is chaotic, streets are crowded and roads under-maintained. Unless you're familiar with local road conditions, don't drive on your own. Look for a trusted driver, always wear your seatbelt and speak up if you feel unsafe. According to the CDC, injuries cause 10 times more tourist deaths each year than diseases.
Resources for Travel
10 Air Travel Health Tips Readers Digest
International Travel and Health World Health Organization
International Travel: Tips for Staying Healthy
Top 10 tips for travelling abroad: insurance, health and security
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
USA tips for travelling abroad
Travel Tips AARP
Travel Health Canada